Food microbiologists study microorganisms in the food we eat to determine their benefits and harms.
VIRTUAL JOB SHADOW
Welcome to your first day on the job! Watch this video to see what a day in the life of a Food Microbiologist is like.
- 1 mason jar with lid (or water bottle)
- Heavy cream
- Salt (optional)
- Pour the heavy cream into the mason jar, filling it half-way full (about 1.5 cups depending on the size of your mason jar).
- Screw the lid on the mason jar tightly.
- Shake the mason jar for about 7 minutes (maybe more depending on how fast you are able to shake the jar). After a few minutes, whipped cream will form in the jar.
- Keep shaking until you hear a lump form inside the jar, then shake for another minute. You should be able to see that the lump of solid fat has separated from the liquid.
- Take the lump out – this is now butter! Add salt if desired, spread on some bread, and enjoy!
Then read this article for the science – and microbes – behind butter!
Optional: Did you make some delish butter? Share a picture in our Student Showcase to build your resume!