Carpenters work with wood. They make, finish, and repair wooden objects like furniture, housing structures (ex: floors, molding), toys, and more.
VIRTUAL JOB SHADOW
Welcome to your first day on the job! Watch this video to see what a day in the life of a Carpenter is like.
– 1 round, thin slice of wood, about the size of a small plate (try and find one in the woods, or have an adult help you cut a slice off an existing branch if a saw is available)
– 2ft string, yarn, or twine
Directions (it’s easy!):
- Choose which side of the wood you want to be the ‘front’ (tip: choose the best looking side).
- Place the nail near the top of the BACK side of the wood.
- Use the hammer to insert the nail into the wood. Leave about a half inch of the nail sticking out.
- Tie the string/yarn/twine to the nail, and tape it in place to the back of the wood.
- Use the clothespins to attach your pictures to the string/yarn/twine hanging down.
- Display and admire your carpentry creation!
Optional: Share your carpentry creation in the Student Showcase to build your resume!
Here’s an example of how it can look: