Youth counselors guide children and teens through the challenges of adolescence including mental health, personal and physical development, and emotional wellbeing.
VIRTUAL JOB SHADOW
Welcome to your first day on the job! Watch this video to see a day in the life of a Youth Counselor.
STEP 1: Read this list of different ways we can practice self-care:
- Say positive things about yourself in the mirror
- Go for a walk
- Write in a journal
- Meditate for 10 minutes
- Play your favorite song and dance
- Do a random act of kindness
- Take an hour-long screen break
- Create art that expresses emotion
- Drink 6 glasses of water daily
STEP 2: Now classify each activity from the list above into one of these three categories – P, S, or M:
P = Physical Self-Care
S = Spiritual Self-Care
M = Mental/Emotional Self-Care
STEP 3: Choose one of these categories – P, S, or M. Then create a 15 minute counseling activity you could do with a youth struggling with this issue.
- What would you teach your patient?
- How would you help them learn it?
- How will you check in with them next counseling session to see if it worked?
STEP 4: Share your youth counseling activity in the Student Showcase to build your resume! PLUS, volunteer to actually do this activity at your local Boys & Girls Club or similar youth organization in your community.