No in-person job shadows this year? No problem!
This Virtual Job Shadow Project is specifically designed to scaffold high school students through the successful completion of a job shadow experience in a STEM field – distance learning style! Purchase includes:
- Description, orientation, directions, and direct link to Canva template for teachers to aid in distance learning implementation and maximize ease of use (2 page PDF)
- MP4 video directions (made by me) to explain the goal of the Virtual Job Shadow Project, how to use the Canva template, and an overview of the provided student example
- PDF (2 pages) with link to editable Canva virtual job shadow template (students will need a FREE Canva account to access and use the Canva template) and step by step directions. This PDF can also be used for posting in your online classroom as directions for students.
- Editable Canva template file (14 pages; also included as a 14 page PDF) including the following project modules: a) Getting Started, b) Directions, c) Career Infographic d) Career Exploration Activity, e) My Virtual Job Shadow Project, an 8-step project designed to mimic a real job shadow experience as closely as possible, but 100% online! f) Career Timeline, g) Day in the Life Collage, h) Career Action Plan, i) Extensions for further research, j) Virtual Job Shadow Project Rubric, k) Directions for submission
- Access to alphabetical list of 130+ premium STEM career profiles, each with virtual job shadow YouTube video, downloadable career information sheet in English and Spanish, and fun career focused activity to test drive exciting STEM careers
- Word document version of the Virtual Job Shadow Project rubric (1 page; also linked as a googledoc in the Canva template)
- A sample Virtual Job Shadow Project (11 pages; created by one of my students) to give a sense of what the project entails and a model for how to complete each section
Extensive directions, guidance, and examples are provided to guide students every step of the way through independent completion of this project. I know so much is different this year, and I am excited about this innovative project – I truly believe it makes the impossible possible! The Virtual Job Shadow Project will take students at least six hours to complete all parts of this project. When all else is cancelled this year, this Virtual Job Shadow Project ensures that your students don’t miss out of essential job shadowing experiences – a must have for distance learning!
If students are completely new to the concept of job shadows, a good starting point and prequel to this resource is the Job Shadow Challenge.
grades 9 to 12 | 45 pages | Available on Teachers Pay Teachers