MRI Technicians scan people using MRI machines.
VIRTUAL JOB SHADOW
Welcome to your first day on the job! Watch this video to see what a day in the life of a MRI technician is like.
You will need:
- 3 strong round magnets
- 2 small cardboard squares (~5in x 7in; cut up a cereal box)
- 2 pencils, pens, popsicle sticks, or straws
- 5 metal paper clips
- metal butter knife
- Popsicle stick (or straw, plastic knife, etc.)
Here’s what to do:
- Put the 3 magnets together.
- Make a sandwich with the cardboard squares and pencils: cardboard at the top and bottom / 2 pencils on the inside to give you something to hold
- Put the magnets on top of the cardboard sandwich.
- Tape it all together.
- On a table, create a ‘body’ with the paperclips.
- Pass the mini-MRI (magnet and cardboard sandwich) over the ‘body’.
- What happens when the magnet is closer to the paperclips?
- Farther away?
Share a picture or video of your mini MRI machine experiments in the Student Showcase to build your resume!