Materials scientists use chemistry, physics, and engineering to investigate how materials work, why they sometimes fail, and invent new mind-blowing materials.
VIRTUAL JOB SHADOW
Welcome to your first day on the job! Watch this video to see what a day in the life of a Materials Scientist is like.
Materials scientists are at the forefront of scientific and technological innovation. Here are a few concepts materials scientists are actually working on:
- invisibility cloak
- spider silk that is stronger than steel
- plastics made of sugar that dissolve
- self-healing military equipment
- medicines matched to your body chemistry
- micro-robots that zap diseases
- clothes that monitor your feelings
As a materials scientist, which project above do you think is MOST important? Why? Create a comic strip to show what life would be like with this new technology as a reality!
Share your materials science comic strip in the Student Showcase to inspire others and build your resume.