Learn about careers in genetics, follow genotypes to make a superhero, and share your genetics discoveries with the world in this fun Genetics STEM Challenge! Delivered in interactive PDF format and TpT Digital Activity, including:
1. Interactive online geneticist career exploration resources (virtual job shadow video, downloadable info sheet in English and Spanish, and fun career focused activity) with reflection questions
2. Short quiz with answer key
3. ‘Make a superhero’ intro to genetics activity (1 page linked GoogleDoc)
4. ‘How to be a geneticist’ infographic with GoogleSlides mini research project (8 slides)
5. Fields of genetics infographic with ‘who am I?’ game; 7 googleslides (simple answer key included on last slide)
6. Printable Qualities of a Geneticist infographic with reflection question
7. Genetics in the Headlines Challenge: In this Challenge students will use principles of genetics to share a ‘superpowered’ genetics discovery by creating a newspaper front page project. Includes project description, student-friendly directions with checklist, and link to optional newspaper front page googleslide template.
8. Genetics in the Headlines Challenge rubric (1 page googledoc)
9. Links to additional online resources to explore careers in genetics
>> Click here for a short video demonstrating how to use in a distance learning classroom (for educators and students)
This Genetics STEM Challenge supports MS-LS3-1 and HS-LS3-1. All activities are designed to be completed independently, taking at least 3 hours for students to complete – a fun distance learning activity!
Grades: 8-12 / Total Pages: 29 / PDF document / available on Teachers Pay Teachers