Drafters use Computer Aided Design software (CAD) to turn blueprints into 3D images.
VIRTUAL JOB SHADOW
Welcome to your first day on the job! Watch this video to see what a day in the life of a Drafter is like.
1. Use an online search engine and type in ‘blueprints’.
2. Scroll through the image results and pick your favorite design (ex: a bridge, a house, etc.).
3. To get a sense of what drafters do, use playdough to make a 3D model of the blueprint you chose. Try to be as realistic as possible, capturing all the details of the blueprint with your playdough.
4. Share your model in the Student Showcase & build your resume as a Drafter!
5. Optional: If you want to take it a step further and learn CAD, try this beginner project in TinkerCAD! (Note: If you have not used TinkerCAD before you will need to create an account; you can join the Career In STEM® class using this code: P1JY77GGE657)