The Hour of Code is a global movement reaching tens of millions of students in 180+ countries. Anyone, anywhere can organize an Hour of Code event. One-hour tutorials are available in over 45 languages. No experience needed. Ages 4 to 104.
~Hour of Code
Hour of Code: 7 things to try if you loved it!
- December 9, 2022
- Posted by: Ashley Pereira
- Category: career guidance Careers and CTE educational technology Technology
Whether you used one of our done-for-you Computer Science Week STEM activities or something else, the beauty of Computer Science Week is that students were able to try something new, experience computer science, and gain familiarity with this critically important 21st century skill. Here’s a few things I did with my kids to celebrate. What did you and your students do? Be sure to share Computer Science Week celebrations in the Showcase!
While Computer Science Week 2021 is now in the books, it is very much the beginning! Be sure to fan the sparks of student interest. It would be a shame to get your students interested in computer science through fun activities last week only to leave them hanging. In other words, be sure to help interested students KEEP exploring!
5 MORE things to try with students who loved the Hour of Code:
- Keep exploring computer science and other STEM careers with prep free, FUN career exploration activities – webquests, games, online mini courses, posters, and much more!
- The key to success in any career path is to find a mentor. A great place to start is directing students to your local Chamber of Commerce website. Students can use the Chamber directory to find computer-related companies nearby. Then help students email or call to reach out!
- Do more than an Hour! Encourage students to try an hour of a different skill. For example Khan Academy offers Hour of Drawing With Code, Hour of Databases, and Hour of Webpages – all free!
- Get students thinking about the future. Technology fields are booming, and today’s students must be prepared for careers of tomorrow. Expand your students’ horizons of what is possible with technology careers of the future activities and innovative computer science products.
- Host an online Computer Science Careers Workshop with Career In STEM – deeply discounted sale price happening now through the end of December! Full details & free STEM career activity here
These five ideas are sure to help your students KEEP exploring computer science all year long. Happy Coding, Christmas, and New Year to you and yours!